I was not sure why the Archangel Michael is called Saint Michael since archangel and sainthood are not the same and they are obviously in different ranks. Saint is a spiritual warrior and won the battle of war of saving souls, but they are mere men and angels are divine and heavenly beings who are different from mere mortals and humans, not to mention a rank of Archangel. I thought that there can be no comparison between Archangel Michael and Saint Michael.

However, we as Roman Catholics often refer to Michael as "Saint Michael", a title that does not indicate canonization of saints as we have seen in sainthood of Mother Theresa. Archangel Michael is generally referred to in Litany of Saints as "Saint Michael", as personification of Archangel as one of saints as close as possible to us. In our tradition, we view Saint Michael as the angelic model for the virtues of the spiritual warrior, just like many other warrior saints. The conflict against evil may at times be viewed as conflict on the battle field. It requires great courage and forbearance to step onto the battlefield and strike down whatever demons stand on our way to holiness.

I did not have any particular devotion to Saint Michael before I came to St. Michael’s Church. However, whenever I need to pray for strength and courage his winged statute with a sword caught into my eye and lingered into my mind and thoughts. Then I looked into more. The Catechism of the Catholic Church (334–335) states that: "The whole life of the church benefits from the mysterious and powerful help of the angels.... From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession." What a great feeling of security ad sense of confidence the Archangel generates. Indeed I pray that the Archangel Michael is surrounding us and protecting all of us from any harms and attacks from evil power.

The feast of St. Michael is celebrated on September 29. The feast is also our opening Mass for Centennial Celebration. I hope that all of us to participate this Great Day of St. Michael’s and Our Church and please keep pray for His Protection! 

Glorious Saint Michael,

guardian and defender of Christ's House,

come to the assistance of His followers,

against whom the powers of hell are unchained.

Saint Michael the Archangel,

defend us in battle;

be our protection against the wickedness

and snares of the devil.

May God rebuke him, we humbly pray:

and do thou, O Prince of the heavenly host,

by the power of God,

thrust into hell Satan and all the evil spirits

who prowl about the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen. 

Views :
Registered Date :
10:03:47 (*.63.196.18)
Trackback :
http://stmichael-catholic.org/index.php?document_srl=302&act=trackback&key=f46
Article URL :
http://stmichael-catholic.org/index.php?document_srl=302
List of Articles
No. Subject Author Views Votes Datesort
» I was not sure why the Archangel Michael is called Saint Michael Web-Admin 49314   Feb 06, 2013
I was not sure why the Archangel Michael is called Saint Michael since archangel and sainthood are not the same and they are obviously in different ranks. Saint is a spiritual warrior and won the battle of war of saving souls, but they ar...  
17 It’s hard to believe that summer is almost over Web-Admin 16845   Feb 06, 2013

16 I like to inform you of the upcoming Centennial Celebration Plans Web-Admin 13271   Feb 06, 2013

15 We have very good news Web-Admin 15611   Feb 06, 2013

14 Dear Parents/Guardians of The Religious Education and Confirmation Class Web-Admin 12096   Feb 06, 2013

13 Thank you to all of you Web-Admin 12013   Feb 06, 2013

12 On July 4th we celebrate Independence Day and the birth of great nation Web-Admin 42933   Feb 06, 2013

11 My first job is not a theological or spiritual endeavor at all, but a very mundane and practical one Web-Admin 12868   Feb 06, 2013

10 Dear Parishioners Web-Admin 37586   Feb 06, 2013

9 Dear Parishioners of St. Michael Parish Web-Admin 127503   Feb 06, 2013

8 The Feast of the Epiphany of Our Lord Jesus Christ Web-Admin 19945   Feb 06, 2013

7 The Solemnity of the Baptism of Our Lord Web-Admin 11955   Feb 06, 2013

6 Pastor's Plans for a Parish Council at our Church Web-Admin 27819   Feb 06, 2013

5 What about taking a Pilgrimage with your parish family? Web-Admin 21835   Feb 06, 2013

4 His Way Web-Admin 9613   Feb 06, 2013

3 Dear Parishioners! Web-Admin 14115   Feb 06, 2013

2 We have wonderful passages from a letter of the first Corinthian that God is indeed speaking to people of St. Michael’s Church. Web-Admin 43974   Feb 06, 2013

1 Saint Michael’s is Planning a Pilgrimage to Italy, Dubrovnik and Medjugorje….Will you be joining us? Web-Admin 53148   Feb 06, 2013